Saturday, April 2, 2011

Catchin a Break

Hey there!  How ya goin?  Finally I am up writing again. It's been a while.  The last few weeks have been filled with things here and there that are keeping me busy!  I'm certainly not complaining though.  I'm still on the hunt for a job, gosh it's exhausting searching for jobs like this. I'm far from over it.  I know someone who needs a an assistant coach for Rugby.  What do you think??  It's with 7 year olds. Couldn't be that difficult, right??  I can catch and throw a ball on some days anyway, haha.  I'm hoping one of the cafe's or coffee shops I applied to calls back.  I hope anyone calls back, dang it.

Last weekend we took a trip out to Willongong.  It is a coastal town just south of Syndey and it was so beautiful.  The day was actually really over cast and cloudy, it was even raining for a bit, but we got to the beach and went swimming any way.  We brought the boogie boards with us and had a bit of fun in the waves!  Water was so warm and right at the end the sun came out. So perfect.  The waves were great, nice size too. Lots of fun to body surf and boogie board in because they just tossed us all over the place :)  Reminds me of summers in Cali with my wonderful sister and family!  On the drive out there, I wish I got a picture of this, but there was a building (not sure what kind) but it said in big words, "We Love the Gong!"  I love that.

On the way out to Willongong, we stopped out in Katoomba in the Blue Mountains to see the incredible vistas from the look outs.  We got to see the Three Sisters, a famous rock formation standing on the side of the mountain among kilos and kilos of vast blue/green tints from the trees that you look out upon.  It is breathtaking.  I can't wait to go back and see what else is hidden in the valleys of the mountains. Waterfalls could be seen and we hiked down a steep incline of stairs to get right up to it.  I can't even explain how gorgeous it is. 

Last week I got to help out a friend with her study.  She is doing a short term and long term training intervention and comparing it between caucasion and aboriginee groups.  It's difficult to do studies with the aboriginees because they are 'government protected' so getting it passed ethics is really tough. Sounds familiar, right?  But they are a huge at-risk population for diabetes/obesity and other sedentary diseases so it's also really important to get them in studies.  Anyway, it was fun helping her set up and being around for the study - part of it included muscle biopsies which was awesome to see. 

It rained off and on here for several days but the last week has been positively gorgeous. It is definitely getting into fall here - it is quite chilly in the morning/afternoons and there is usually a crisp fall air during the days.  We had dinner at a the receptionist, Jenny's, house last night.  She made us a delicious roast with potatoes and sweet potatoes and green beans.  It was very delicious.  We also went to Amy's house the other night for dinner - she made us burritos!!!!  That was the first taste of New Mexico I've had since I left, and I have to say they were mighty good!  Of course, I could have used a bit of green chile, but hey, at least it was something!  How weird is this though - they put cucumbers on burritos.  Now that's just not normal to me! haha!

Well I know more things have been happening, but nothing else stands out for me to go on and on about.  I'll leave you with some fun new sayings that I've heard. 

Last week Dr. Roberg's mum (mom) was in town and she was hilarious.  At one point when we were driving to Willongong, he was saying that he had a secret place that he was going to take us.  We asked his mom, Evy, if she knew what the secret was.  She laughed and said, in a very endearing, elderly lady type of way, "oh no, Rob doesn't tell me things like that I'll bubble over!".  I thought that was the cutest thing ever!  Don't tell someone a secret if they are going to bubble over :)

Later that day, Dr. R. was reversing out of a parking spot and he had to do a three point turn.  We were standing outside the car and Evy says, in a somewhat annoyed/sweet way (if that is possible), "Oh, he's going to have to take a couple bites out of the cherry on this one".  So cute.  It was lots of fun hanging out with her, though it made me miss my grandma and grandpa quite a bit! 

Needless to say, I'll be anxious to come home the first time.  Missing you all a lot, but  I love it here so much.  I couldn't possibly be happier with school and that, of course, is the whole reason I am here :)  So I'm gonna keep on keepin on, livin and lovin it.  Rightio, lots of love and cheers to a good week ahead!  xo

No comments:

Post a Comment