Friday, February 18, 2011

Alas, I have arrived in the Land Down Unda'

How you goin?  A phrase that I hear almost anywhere I go.  I love it here.  It is green, lush, and beautiful.  Especially when the sun is shining.  The first day and a half, it rained almost none stop.  But that was beautiful too! 


The town here in Bathurst is small and quaint.  Almost like something out of 1950's America, as Bill Bryson mentions in A Sunburned Country.  There is a main park and hundreds of small locally owned shops, many that are jewels I am sure!  I will have to venture to them once I have a job and some spending money!  With the small town charm, I was delighted to find a Target!  Though not exactly the same as the Target from home (they don't have picture kiosks!) which I have a seriously difficult time with because I havent been able to figure out how to print off pictures to send back home.  It is also a bit smaller, but still, it will suffice seeing as though it is a Target!  There are lots and lots of wonderful clothing boutiques with fabulous clothes for decent prices - yes, it is something like shopper's heaven.  But on a smaller scale of course.


The Aussies (pronounce Auzzie - or they will get mad) call your typical everday pub a 'Hotel'.  Imagine being the new American in town that is asked out by an Aussie gent (gentleman) to the Hotel on the first date - no that did not happen to me, but should it, I'll refrain from making a joke about how he wants to take me to a hotel haha.  They shorten everything, as I did with gent.  I say school, they say 'uni' (for university).  I say mosquito, they say 'mozzi'.  It is much more efficient when you think about it.  I can't think of any other words at the moment, but I assure you there are lots!


Of course, they drive on the opposite side of the street.  Among other things, I have found it very challenging not to get run over when I am out for a run.  I have to look both ways about 17 times before I am sure there is not a car coming.  And then, I come to a round-a-bout, which makes it even more difficult.  I have had a few days to get used to their accent; and infact, I think I am beginning to pick up on it a little myself!  It is somewhat difficult especially when speaking to native Bathurst-ians (for lack of a better term); as their accents are very heavy.  For instance, I was at the bank the other day to set up a bank account - which by the way are amazing because I earn 4.6% interest on a normal savings account! - and the lady was saying '73'; but I heard 7-2-3.  Draw out the Seventy; and instead put an O at the end of it and that is how she was saying it - "Sevent-O Three"  That doesnt make much sense in writing, but I assure you, it was so confusing! 


I found an Ice Cream shop yesterday - It doesn't quite compare to my favorite, Chillz; or Ecco (for gellato); but it was delicious on a hot day!  It has been around 25 on a daily basis - and by 25 I mean 80 degrees in your terms :)  That is one thing that has also been a challenge - The treadmills are set in Kilometers instead of miles; I have yet to do a time conversion so I know whether I am staying on a good pace for myself.  I try to read the nutrition labels at a grocery store, and I feel like I am reading gibberish as they are all in kilojoules energy wise.  I have to brush up on those conversions also. 


I am meeting with the president of the gymnastics club here in town in Tuesday, and in the mean time have a pool party to go to tomorrow!  Yay for summer time!  haha :)  and I hope to get out to Sydney and to the beach really soon.  Jet lag is starting to go away I think; though I wake up at about 3 in the morning absolutely starving!  (because that would normally be my breakfast time)


I have a phone that I can call internationally with prepaid minutes, though they go quickly.  I can also text but it is expensive for people to text back.  Dang it.  I can chat though too!  and that is free for me and you if you have a gmail account!  Woohoo!  Needless to say, I am anxious to meet some friends and have people to hang out with down here.  I can't wait for school to start!  Lots of love sending to my friends and family back home!  I'll keep you updated on more Aussie things soon <3

3 comments:

  1. Well first things first, I'm so glad you are doing this to keep those of us with less exciting lives entertained ;0) It sounds like you're fitting in just great! I'm SO glad you have a Target, and good luck with all of the conversions - it sounds complicated but fun all the same! xo AB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikki, I'm so glad you're having such a great time. I knew you would love it, and fit right in. Thank you for trying to explain 72 over text... haha Post pictures whenever you can, and enjoy going to hotels... haha Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Durango...but with the one thing everyone has always wanted...a TARGET!! PS I am soooo Proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete