Friday, February 25, 2011

"You're an American, aren't Ya?"

"Hello Darling, what are ya after?" 
"Can I have a Rum and Coke?" 
"[Insert cute smile] You're an American aren't ya?" 
"What gave it away?"
"Your hair ;)"

That's part of the conversation from the cute guy at Kings Hotel last night.  Yup, I finally ventured out on the town by myself.  I actually went to a movie on the lawn thing at school, but when there was only about 20 people there, none of who were my age, I decided to split and walk around downtown to find some real fun! 

First, I went to Church Bar.  This place was awesome - kind of a mix between getting plastered and worship at the same time.  Only kidding.  It is named that because it is located on Church street :)  But in reality this place is awesome.  They have a gorgeous patio outside and had live music last night.  The guitarist and singer were amazing!  I was totally impressed.  There weren't many seats, so I took a seat by an older bloke.  And I don't mean that to sound rude - he was seriously about 60.  Boy that was interesting.  He had some very innovated and difficult questions to ask about the human body and wanted create some 'Dalek', of which I have yet to google.  Apparently it is some human brained robot - anyway, this conversation kept going and going into more and more science fiction.  At one point when he returned from the bar with another beer, I saw my chance to duck out without him wanting to go to a different bar.  Not to worry he wasn't creepy, I just didn't want to bust my mind over that stuff on a relaxing Friday night!

Wandering around, I came to the Kings Hotel.  Like I mentioned, totally cute bar tender.  And live music too.  As soon as I stepped out, I found, what I thought at the moment was Heaven.  About 11 mates just standing there dancing and singing outside on the patio.  This hotel wasn't very busy, so I went and sat at a table sort of near theirs.  The waiter came by and struck up conversation again about why I was here in Bathurst of all places - he didn't have much room to talk as he is from the Snowy Mountains down south, so I quickly refired that question at him.  Anyway, eventually one of the mates came up to me and asked me to dance.  Holy crap this guy new how to dance.  And he was cute!  He was shocked at the way I could dance too and went around to everyone on the patio saying, "let me show you how you are really supposed to dance" at which point we would start dancing again.  Let me add in that, by dancing, I mean he was twirling me around and dipping me - I have never met anyone that could lead so well.  So. much. fun. 

Eventually he asked the question..."So where are you from?"  Apparently my accent gives it away.  Haha.  Everyones reaction is always the same.  What the hell are you doing in Bathurst?  Or How did you end up all the way out here from over there??  Most people say they know where New Mexico is...but I think they are pretending.  The rugby guys were leaving and told me to go with them to 'The Ox' which is Bathursts version of a nightclub - let me just say they loooovee their strobe lights, disco balls and lasers.  Oh and smokey stuff that comes out over the dance floor.  Haha.  But boy it was so much fun!  We all just danced all night, I met some random girl from Sydney and she saved me from a couple weird bloakes during the night.  I do have to say going out around here is different.  I'm such a cougar out here compared to back home with all the little 18 year olds in the clubs.  Haha!  But there is a big mix of people my age out and about too of course.  

Anyway, like I said I thought I was in heaven before.  Until I discovered that they have the equivelent to Rum and Coke on Tap.  One of the boys, Wade, asked what I was drinking - so I said rum and coke.  He comes back..actually I went with him to the bar - don't worry I'm not going to let some rando's buy me drinks and slip something in them - and the bartender poured my drink out of a tap.  I was like ughh gonna have to suck it up and drink it!  Well when that sweet sultry drink hit my lips, I was like what the heck is this??  I think, if I read the name correctly, it was called Bundaberg and Cola - I didn't read the name correctly, I just had to google it.  Um, can I ask why is this stuff not in the states??  You can get it on tap, in a can or of course, hand mixed.  Holy moly these Australia and the rubgy boys stole my heart.  They sure loved to dance!  Lastly, I have to note that the bars don't close here until poeple leave.  Which means I'm definitely not getting a job at a bar because I'd want to kick them out and go home by 2:30.  Haha.  Pretty cool though, pretty stinkin cool. 

Well that about sums up the party night last night.  Unfortunately I didn't get any of the numbers of the rugby players to hang out with - but I'm not sure boys and girls are friends like I am friends with the guys back home...well I change that.  I'm sure I'll see them around town.  And if not, I'll go back and see the cute bartender from Kings Hotel repeatedly.  In the meantime I have to get out of bed, shower and act like I actually got hom at a decent hour - not 3:00 in the morning, and like I'm not totally exhausted with a gnarley hangover..because my teacher might be a little worried.  Oops.

 Gotta love being the new American girl in a small town in Australia <3

No comments:

Post a Comment